November 6, 2005. Still a day I remember fresh in my mind. After 16 hours of labor, and one darn good epidural, our little baby boy was delivered. (With a little help from the doctor and very scarey looking forceps that is). He came out screaming, and seemed to never stop until he was about 3 months old. After already dealing with one colicky baby, I did not want to go through that again. In fact, through the haze of my postpartum mind, I tried to give him to my mom multiple times. Thank heavens she was smart enough to know I would regret that decision, and refused. Although, I know how much she misses him.
He was a huge eater, as you can tell. And after 2 breast infections, kidney stones, infection of my episitiomy, and his hospitalization for RSV, I gave up trying to breastfeed, and just fed him the bottle. I had pumped for 6 months with Taylee, and knew I didn't have the time or energy to do it again. This decision would come back to haunt me later when we found out that he had a terrible immune system.
Around 5 months, we had only really dealt with one major sickness, the RSV. But, then, he started getting sick more and more, with very high fevers. I am a paranoid mom who had a very understanding doctor. He trusted mother's intuition, so we spent a lot of time at his office. He did multiple blood tests, and found out that he always had a low white blood count. But, it could be a number of things, and told us not to worry about it too much.
However, by this age, he had been in and out of the hospital many times with infections. The doctors always reminded us that it could be cancer. Around this time, we went to Primary Childrens in Salt Lake and ruled that out. He has what they call "Chronic Benign Neutropenia," and they think he will grow out of it soon.
Halloween, 2006, Rohne was in isolation because it was too risky for him to catch something. We had a great time celebrating inside. And, he didn't know the difference. We still prayed for a miracle though, because it was getting to be very hard on all of us.
We decided to move back to Washington, and it was a prayer answered. They found out that his illness was treatable, and we started giving him shots to boost his immune system. Come to find out, he never would have grown out of it on his own. He will probably be on these shots for a very long time. And, it had nothing to do with genetics or breastfeeding. We found a wonderful specialist who posed the question: "Could he really be a normal boy?"
1 comment:
Wow! Tough two years! I can't imagine going through all of that with one of my little ones. I love seeing pictures of your little family! You seem like such a fun mom. How is the injury coming along?
Post a Comment