Sunday, August 10, 2008

What a Wacky Weekend!


So, it's weekends like this when I realize how happy I am that I only have 2 children. It all started early Saturday morning around 4:00 a.m. Rohne and Tay have both had colds, but that night, Rohne's cough seemed extra bad. He woke up whimpering, and I went in to comfort him, only to find him gasping for breath. His face was a little shocked, eyes wide, and he could barely talk. I sat him up, and tried to get him to cough. He did a little, and seemed to get a deeper breath. I then sat up with him in the chair, and turned the humidifier right on him, thinking he probably had a little croup. Well, this seemed to calm him down a little, but he was still wheezing, breathing very fast and shallow, and struggling. I took him into our bedroom, and woke up Jake while I called the Nurse Hotline. She listened to him on the phone, and said we should probably take him to the ER. I kind of wanted to wait until the Clinic opened at 8:30, but it was pretty evident that we shouldn't wait that long. We got to the ER about 6:30 a.m., and after a breathing treatment, blood work, chest X-Ray, and an IV put in just in case he had to stay, we left around noon. His white counts were good, and they decided it was a viral pneumonia. Anyways, he's still not breathing normally, but it's getting better, and we just need to re-check him tomorrow at the Pediatrician's office.


Now, onto Taylee, and fast forward to Sunday. We had decided not to take the kids to church, because they were both sick, although Tay was definitely on the mend. Jake was ready to walk out the door at 8:50 am, when Tay started freaking out because she wanted to go too. I hurriedly got her ready, and they headed out, with me planning on going the 3rd hour to Young Women's because I had to teach. After church, we all took much needed naps, while I prepared to attend a Youth Fireside in the evening. Tay wouldn't eat anything all day, and was acting really whiney. As I left for the fireside, I thought I should probably take her temp., but I didn't. When I walked in the door tonight, Jake was telling the kids a story, and informed me that she had a fever of 101.6, and was complaining about her ears. I had thought earlier that day she might have an ear infection. So, both kids to the Dr. tomorrow, I hope they can squeeze us in. The Princess was having a hard time winding down for bed, and I knew that the Motrin hadn't kicked in quite yet, so I let her watch Darby O'Gill and the Little People (a movie I checked out from the library, because I loved it as a kid, and now is one of their favorites) on our bed with Jake. About a half hour later, Jake comes out holding a little pink shoe on some tweezers. He then informed me he had just pulled it out of Taylee's nose, and it was in there quite deep. Great!! Another Natali. My little sister was infamous for sticking stuff up her nose when she was a little girl. Why oh Why?


One more funny note. As I put Rohne back in his bed for the 10th time tonight, I told him I would give him one more chance. If he got out again, I would. . . . "Turn me into a goon!", he exclaimed. This is a reference from Little Bunny Foo Foo, a favorite song in our fam. I was going to say shut the door, but whatever works!

9 comments:

Collette said...

Ugh...sick kids are never fun. I hope everyone is on the mend.

Funny about the goon. That is one of Bridger's favorite songs. It cracks him up when we say "turn you into a GOON!". Glad you guys like it too.

Natali Jolley said...

I'm sorry about all the worry Em. I'm sorry too and I am a horrible sister who won't call her sister back. I really do miss you all and I promise to call soon. We are having out own little struggles here at the Jolley home too, so we'll keep you in our prayers if you keep us in yours. Talk to you soon!

Leslie said...

wow-that was quite the weekend. I think someday when our kids are grown we will think "How did we ever do it all"...take care of the kids, the house, etc. etc. and keep it together. Hope they are feeling better.

About Breaking Dawn...I liked it, but it wasn't my favorite of the series. Everything just ended a little too perfect, I thought. Not as much drama as I was expecting.

Sutton's said...

I am sorry about your sick kids. I am also sorry that we missed you while you were in Idaho. I hope you have a good rest of the week.

Natali Jolley said...

Well, no one looks at my blog but you Emmers, so I will just write you another little note. I hope all is well and I am wondering what you are doing this weekend. I hope you have fun plans and that they are fun. Call me if you get bored or something. Oh, and I read Charles Allen's book "The Gift" and I sobbed the whole time. Sobbed, big huge alligator tears and actually was having a hard time getting breath. It sure makes you have a new look on your trials huh. good book.

Candy said...

oh I am so sorry for you. I hate having sick kids, it is so stressful and makes me worry so bad. And that is awful about the pink shoe up the nose. HOpe that doesn't become a habit huh? Hang in there or I'll turn you into a goon!

The Feely Crew said...

Wow Emily. I guess when life gets crazy it really gets crazy! Well your such a champ and when all is well again its all worth a laugh. Except the being sick part, that is no good!!!

Camille said...

I hope your son hasn't turned in to a goon! What a cute family.
Almost a month ago, there was a drawing on my blog for a necklace from Apostrophe.etsy.com
The winner never claimed the prize & I have no way to contact her.
Anyhow, I finally drew another winner, and it is you!
Email me w/your contact info.
ponytailchallenge@gmail.com

Candy said...

forgot to tell you that rhone looks exactly like a cabbage patch doll in the picture you posted! so stinking cute.