As you may have noticed from my previous postings, Rohne is most comfortable with his pacifier in his mouth. I have not made it a big issue thus far, because it also helps keep me sane. His "Haci", as he so lovingly calls it, heals everything. Today he found 4 of the 25 we probably have around here somewhere, and was so proud of himself. I thought it a blog worthy moment. Plus, I could use mom to mom advice on how to start distancing himself from his "one true love."
He kept switching each one in his mouth, so they all got equal time.
Notice how he is sitting. Crazy kid!
Thursday, October 11, 2007
His One True Love
Posted by
Emily K.
at
5:02 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
I haven't crossed this bridge yet. However, I was discussing it with my sister-in-law who's 2 1/2 yr old still has his. He has only had it at night for the past few months. The rest of the time he doesn't get it. Then the other day they started rewarding him if he could go at night without it. He was pretty proud to tell every one that he slept two nights without his "binka". I don't know how you feel about rewards, but it might work. Let me know how it goes because I'll need your advice here in a while when I get sick of Bridger's. But like you said, it keeps us sane! Good Luck. I'm sure others will have much better advice.
I've heard of cutting the tip so it's "broken." A friend used a sharpie and colored the tip black. Her daughter didn't want to suck on a black binkie (or nipple). My sister-in-law had a big girl party for my (then 3 or 4 year old) niece. They tied the binky to a balloon and she let it go. They had been telling her about it so she was ready and knew, but she did get upset when she realized it was going up and not coming back down. I think they had cake as part of the celebration. Good luck! My girls didn't take binkies much while little.
When we had Lucy give hers up, she felt like she lost her best friend in the world. Very heartbreaking. We started letting her only have it at nap and bedtime or for long car trips. We had a special place in her room (out of reach, but she knew where it was). We put her blanket and binky there in the morning and after naptime. We did that for a long time. After about 6 months we bit the bullet and did it. She only had one left and we put a hole in the tip so it was broken. She was very angry and she cried very hard at bedtime for 2 weeks. What I took from the experience: don't rush it. If I could go back, I would have let her have it at bedtime and not worried about it. I didn't like her walking around with it all the time, but what's the big deal? You never see kindergarten kids with them. I'm learning a lot with Lucy. Poor kid has to be first.
Ditto April- I've heard that cutting the tops frustrates them enough that they won't want to suck on them anymore. Either way I'm sure it's going to be an adjustment. Good luck, I love that picture of how proud he is to have found so many binkys!
We gave our daughters pacifier to the newborn cousin. My daughter thought she was just being nice, but that night I reminded her that we gave them away. She cried for a while, but then was fine. She stopped asking for them after 2 days.
Post a Comment