Monday, February 16, 2009

My Confidence is Restored! Thanks Mom


Figuring out what to cook for dinner, and then cooking it, is a big stress for me. My mom is a wonderful cook, and taught us from a young age how to cook. My dad's pancakes, and biscuits and gravy would be the hit of any breakfast restaurant. My brother, Ben, is quite the gourmet, and tweaks recipes until they are perfection. Holly is the master at bread and roll making, Natali bakes sweets better than most pastry chefs, Whitney makes really good curry, and Bryan makes really chocolatey chocolate chip pancakes. I don't think there is anything that I am known for. There are 4 or 5 dishes I cook often, that aren't too bad, but Jake is starting to get sick of them, amd actually asked me to stop making some of them.

Back to the story. . . . Potato Cheese Soup. It's a pretty basic meal, really easy to make, with only a few ingredients, but really yummy. We grew up eating this soup, and Jake's mom makes it quite often as well. I have made this on and off throughout our marriage, and it has ranged from terrible, to just okay. The last time I made it, it was so bad I had to throw the whole pan down the sink. I vowed to never make it again! Much to my surprise, Jake asked for this infamous soup for dinner tonight. I like when he tells me what to make, then I don't have to guess what he wants. But, anything but this, please!! However, he was quite adamant, and got the kids excited about it, so I called my mother, and asked her the trick to the delightful creaminess I always fail to achieve. She gave me a few pointers, and I gave it a whirl. I stirred and stirred, left it on a lower heat setting, seasoned, and tasted, and it actually turned out wonderful! One of the best meals I have made in a while. Jake wanted it paired with grilled cheese sandwiches, which made for way too much cheese, so he got full really fast. I just ate it with a Caesar Salad, and I am feeling very satisfied. My confidence in this simple dish is restored. Thanks for the help, Mom!!

6 comments:

Shon and Holly Shuldberg said...

I hardly ever attempt to make any kind of soup because I am very intimidated by them. I tried potato cheese soup once and it was terrible so I have never tried again. I don't know why I can not make a good soup! (taco soup is my one exception) Congrats on the good soup!! I need to call mom for her pointers I suppose. It is a yummy soup. Good job for not giving up!! I haven't even made dinner for my family tonight. Zack and Ty ate corn dogs and Shon and I haven't eaten anything yet. Now it is too late to eat. I have sure rambled on on this comment. Sorry about that. I love you!!

Monique said...

I'll have to get that recipe and tips from you. Jer and I have decided we need more variety in our dinner menus, so this would be great. I've never made this. Good job on making a successful soup!

P.S. I've had tons of contractions today...I'm gonna call the doc tomorrow and I'm sure I'll be seeing her. Jer's worried I'll be on bedrest! I sure hope not!

Natali Jolley said...

you are a very wonderful soup cook. Good Job.

Taylor Family said...

That soup look wonderful. I think thats what we will have tonight. I also hate deciding what to have for dinner, I don't mind cooking if someone would tell me what to cook.
I found a website called
Menus4Moms.com that does a week of menu's and gives recipes and shopping list. I don't always use it but it gives me ideas. We get really tired of the same old thing and John has also requested that I don't make things because he is tired of them. MEN! :)

Leslie said...

1st: happy birthday, Jake! How did you get so old?
2nd: I totally relate to your cooking "woes". Nothing is worse than spending alot of time/energy on a new receipie and then no one liking it, so congrats on a good meal.
3rd: I loved Jake's comments about Evan. We should have told you they were coming, but it was pretty spur of the moment on their part...and we didn't think you'd up and come to Utah! Oh well, maybe we will get him out here again (sooner than another 8 years!)

Celinda said...

Whenever I need cheered up all I have to do is check my girls blogs. Thank you all. I knew you could do the soup proud. Emily, your Hawaian Haystacks can't be beat, and what about your no bake chocolate cookies? You have got those perfected! I think that we all are best in what we practice the most.